Monday, January 16, 2012
New Room Blues
I have been co-sleeping with my baby girl since she turned 18 months old and we tried to put her in a toddler bed. At first she would wander in our room in the wee hours of the morning. I would be ready. I could hear the pitter patter of her little feet on the floor and it would make me happy to lift her into my arms so we could snuggle. Eventually we just skipped the wee hour of the morning journey all together, it was our norm. I liked having her there and she liked being there. Then she started to grow, imagine that, and some nights became sleepless (for me, not for her). I often said the words out loud "It is time to put her in her room. I am not sleeping" Now a part of me wants to take those words back.
My big girl got her "new" room this weekend. Keith and I made sure it was perfect. She got new carpet, new furniture, and a new princess fish tank. The room is perfect! I knew Ahli would be excited.
She went with us to pick out the furniture and we ordered it two weeks prior to getting it. The Thursday night prior to our big furniture delivery I held my baby tight while she slept and cried. As selfish as this is going to sound, I didn't realize how hard this was going to be for me. I will however, continue to encourage her to sleep in her own room and to be a big girl.
I will be removing the animals off the wall as soon as I find something I like to replace them.
I really thought that she would have trouble adjusting to the move. Not my little girl! She told me that she wanted to go to sleep in her big girl room Saturday evening like it was nothing. I though for sure I would hear the pitter patter of her cute little feet in the wee hours of the morning, and nothing. She slept in her new room, all by herself, all night. When she woke up in the morning daddy asked her if she wanted to come in our room to snuggle and she said "No, I like my big girl room".
On Sunday evening, same thing. She fell asleep in her room, except at 5:30 I heard the long awaited pitter patter. Ahli said "mommy, I just wanted to come in and tell you that I love you and goodnight". I said " oh baby, I love you too. Why don't you climb up and let's snuggle". "No mommy, I am going back to my room". I of course was going to try anything I could to persuade her to just climb up and snuggle with me so I replied, "But baby, just for one minute". She climbed into bed and fast asleep we fell. She woke up a couple of hours later and said "Mommy, how could you not let me go back to my room". My baby was really upset...no I mean really upset.
As an extra bonus...Kieth let me turn the dining area into a playroom. Something I have been asking him to do for a long time now and he refused. He did not want that to be the first thing that people saw when they walked through the door. I respect that. However, our daughter needed a place to play and her room just isn't big enough for all her furniture and stuff. Thank you my wonderful husband for giving in. Your daughter and I both love you for it!
Needless to say, my baby has her own room, it is beautiful and she loves it. I am still not sleeping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so sweet!! what a doll in her big girl room. LOVE the fish tank.
So grown up now! ♥ it!
Hey, it's Tola from stepbystep-photography. Stopped by to say thanks for adding me to your blog list. :) Much appreciated.
Your daughter is adorable, reminds me of my two nieces.
Your dining room looks like my brother's living room. His two year old has overtaken the house as well :)
Maybe I'll do a baby/child portrait tutorial - I know I've taken a bunch of them for my nieces and nephews.
Subbed to your site through your rss feed
--Tola
Post a Comment