Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

I'm a Survivor....

So I was not going to write this post.  Then I stopped for a moment and said to myself, "Why, you deserve to celebrate this...5 years, this is the marker where you are actually considered a "survivor" and not just in remission".  So then I said to myself (I talk to myself a lot) "Hell yea, I am writing the post!!  I am a survivor baby!!" Well actually I am going to add a few new words and then copy and past my blog from the past.  Sorry, not because I am lazy but it takes me a week to normally write a blog post ... so yes, this time I am under a time crunch and I am going to cheat a little.

It was 5 years ago that I rang the bell.  The bell that signifies the end of one journey and the beginning of a new one.  Cancer is just that, a journey.  For some it is worse then for others but to all it is a life changing event.  I can honestly say that it not only changed my life, or Keith's... but if affected so many around us.  I am honored when my niece does something like cut off her beautiful locks of hair and donates them to the Locks of Love foundation, or when she participates in a fundraiser to help raise money for cancer patients. For all of those who have posted and reposted this on their Facebook status:  May I ask a personal favor..... Only some of you will do it, and I know who you are. If you know someone who fought cancer and won, or fought cancer and died, or someone who is still fighting please add this to your status for 1 hour as a mark of respect and in remembrance. I hope I was right… about the people who will♥  Or just my friends who remembered this day... this very special day...without me even saying anything at all.  I love you all and the support you have shown me is huge!!!  Please don't think I take it for granted.  I know that I am lucky and blessed is so many ways.


My name if Jennifer Ponce and I am a 39 year old 5 year Lymphoma cancer survivor!




Four  Five years ago on August 22, 2006 I rang the bell. The bell that was to signify the end of my cancer treatment. Not the journey...just the treatment. This day was far more emotional then I ever could have anticipated. I thought it would really be no big deal, I would ring the bell because Keith and a few of my friends insisted. Heck - I didn't even know the bell existed until a couple of days before my last zap of radiation.



When you ring the bell you also recite what is written on the plaque:


Ringing Out

Ring this bell
three times well
Its toll to clearly say,

My treatment's done
This course is run
And, I am on my way!

REAR ADMIRAL IRVE C. Le MOYNE, USN
JANUARY 4, 1996


I can tell you that I rang that bell way more then three times well... I took a hold of that string and rang that bell with every ounce of my being...with warm tears streaming down my face that could be seen flooding the floor beneath. In fact everyone around us was crying. Not just me, not just Keith and my friends, but there was not a dry eye in the lobby... I don't think this is something that is special just to me...I think anyone that witnesses a patient ringing that bell is overwhelmed with emotion.



This is Cathy, my radiation technician, she was very kind and made me laugh everyday through radiation.  I have gone back to try to find her and she has since moved on...but she really made a difference in my life and I wish I could tell her that.  So this is the best I can do...Thank you Cathy!!

My hair started growing back just before my last round of chemo (the doctor told me it was because my body was past the insult of the chemo...nice Dr. Sam...nice....). So I promised Keith that I would remove my "security blanket" after ringing the bell. I promised not just for the day, but for good. This was a hard one for me. With no hair and no bandanna I felt ugly. But I was officially no longer sick and it was time to move past this chapter, so I hesitantly agreed. The significance was strong so I knew I had to get past my self consciousness.



I did not copy and past the entire post from last year, and of course I made a few changes to make this post unique.  If you want to get a better glimpse of our cancer journey feel free to read last years post on August 22, Life is Beautiful!  Would link you there...but I have NO idea how to do that.

Special prayers at this time for Patty Coe who has been recently diagnosed with Lung Cancer.  My heart and prayers go out to you and your family at this time!

Please continue to pray for those still battling this awful disease. As well as for those who are survivors to NEVER have to battle it again. GOD STRONG!!! ~ ♥

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...