Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sweet Success!

 

Christmas was beautiful!  All the things I didn't think I would get done eventually got done.  This year Ahliana was old enough to participate in some old traditions and to help start some new ones.  I hope that these traditions are something that Ahliana will cherish forever the way that I do.

I thought Christmas cookies were not going to get baked this year.  I had all the ingredients bought and all the right intentions but time was running thin.  This is one of my favorite Christmas memories with my mother.  We always made Christmas cookies.  I remember this fondly...the rolling of the dough, the cookie cutters, the baking, the frosting, and of course the eating... I want those memories for my sweet girl... I was off on Christmas Eve so Thursday night we baked.  Ahliana helped me for the first two batches then I retired her to the bedroom and quickly finished the rest.  








While she peacefully took a 3 hour nap the next day I slapped some frosting on 98% of the cookies and let her complete the other 2% when she woke up.  All she really wanted to do was lick the frosting off the knife anyway.  She did like putting all of the sugar sprinkles all over them though... we called it our sprinkles of love.



I am not one to preach religion to anyone but I am a believer. He has given ME every reason to believe and has blessed me beyond belief.  So I want my daughter to know that God is our creator and I want her to know the true meaning behind Christmas. So this year we made cupcakes and sung Happy Birthday to Jesus on Christmas morning. Ahliana was so excited that she got to blow out his candles.

We blew reindeer food in the front yard, to attract Santa's reindeer (because they are really the ones leading the sleigh you know). Who knows what will be growing in daddy's grass come this spring...but hey it's all in the spirit of things right??!!.  We also left several cookies and a glass of milk out for Santa.  After working that hard on our cookies we had to be sure to leave some for the big guy... and he must have thought they were delicious because he only left crumbs.



We welcomed a northern chill on Christmas Eve that dropped the temperatures significantly, making it feel that much more like Christmas.  We traditionally spend Christmas Eve at Uncle E's house.  We gather with family and friends - old and new.  It is relaxing, uneventful, and just plan fun.  Ahliana is the only "small" child and this year, as she does every year, she showed everyone just how cute she was.  She showed Amber how to make Texas style snow angels on the wood floor, she danced around, and just acted plan silly the entire night.  She did help entertain all the other kids by bringing the new popular kid flick: "Despicable Me" (Thank you Jessica). 





Christmas...How do I describe how wonderful our Christmas was? ... I really hate to over use the word magical...but it really was magical.  Ahliana is 2 1/2 ... enough said.  When she woke up she was anxious to see what Santa left her and when she laid eyes on her doll house she just jumped with excitement.  It was adorable!!  Then as she was opening other gifts she would stop to strike a pose for mommy taking pictures...ohhhh so cute this one!!  She was sure to help Grandma open her gifts too.


Christmas morning is always spent at the house then it is off to my brother's house.  I like to be around the kiddos on Christmas and I have spent nearly every Christmas with my niece and nephew ... I remember when I used to spend the night on Christmas Eve so that I could be there with them as they opened Santa's gifts...special times and special memories. 










What I love most about spending time with family on Christmas, or any other day for that matter, is they way that our family loves my baby girl.  They all love my girl as if she were their own.  Not because they have to love her .. but because she is my baby girl .. and they love me that much too.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...